What do you most urge for on a sunny afternoon?
Let me guess!! A glass of chilled water. Am I right or Am I right??
How do you satisfy your urge then? It is quite simple I believe. You will only have to walk towards your refrigerator and pick your water bottle to quench your thirst.
So, what does this convey? Well, this indicates that the refrigerator is an important part of a house. Without this appliance in the corner of the dining room, no house is complete.
Stepping out to buy a fridge? Stop!! Have you done your homework? Buying a refrigerator isn’t as easy as it might sound. Being a one-time investment, you need to do thorough research on which refrigerator to pick as there are endless options available in the market today. Do not go vague with your decision when choosing a refrigerator, consider all your requirements, and then opt for the best one suiting your needs, or else you will end up paying a hefty amount for something that doesn’t meet your requirements list.
Remember these points before buying a refrigerator
Types of Refrigerators
Knowing the fact, how large the appliance is, it’s natural for you to want a fridge that looks good in your kitchen. So before taking a trip to the store, know what your options are. Fridges come in four basic styles:
- French door: The two doors open outwards, and the freezer is placed at the bottom. They are the most stylish looking, expensive refrigerators available
- Side-by-side: The two doors open outwards, and the freezer and fridge are placed alongside each other, keeping the majority of your food at eye level
- Top freezer: The freezer is on top, with the fridge is below. Being the most iconic one, these types of refrigerators are the most affordable ones to buy.
- Bottom freezer: The fridge sits above the freezer, which is at the bottom. There are very limited options available for you to choose from when desiring to buy a bottom fridge
If you’re non-vegetarian, you would possibly want an even bigger freezer area on your cold cuts or an even bigger ice tray.
You may think that door Style is an irrelevant thing, but in reality, it is quite important. You will come across a single door, side by side, and double door options. For the most basic usage, I will recommend you to get a double door fridge as they are frost free and eradicate the need for manual defrosting.
Size and Capacity
Refrigerators vary from one another in terms of sizes suiting the needs of each family and or number of people using the fridge. Capacity represents the amount of storage space present in the fridge
|Bachelors||Single Door||Less than 200 liters|
|Couples||Single Door||250 liters|
|Small Families||Double Door||250-350 liters|
|Medium Families||Double or Triple Door||350-500 liters|
|Large Families||French or Side by Side Door||More than 500 liters|
In-Built Voltage Stabilizer
To protect the refrigerator from voltage fluctuations, it is better to have a voltage stabilizer. Apart from external, having an in-built voltage stabilizer will extend the fridge life.
Do not go for a brand that you have never heard of just because they are offering a mere thousand less when compared to the brand. When you are buying a fridge, always try to stick to a good brand. In the current world, several brands offer good things. In India, there are brands such as Whirlpool, LG, Haier and they are suitable for producing quality content.
Before you start looking out for refrigerators, you need to first figure out the amount you are willing to spend on it. Do set the budget as it will work to distract you as little as possible when you are in the market.
If you aim to save money or consume electricity minimum for household items then power saving is the most important factor that you need to consider while buying a fridge.
Touch and Feel
Your fridge is usually the most touched appliance in your home. If you close your eyes, you can probably recreate exactly what it feels like to open the door and make a grab for the milk. So how your new fridge feels are important. Even if you’re buying online, it’s worthwhile to stop by a physical store for some hands-on time.
Decide on what color you want
With minimalistic to vibrant colors available in the market today, Black, white, shell, or the best pick of all, in my opinion, smudge-proof stainless steel, which will match no matter what color your other appliances are and will instantly make your kitchen look more modern.
Not all refrigerators have the same features and not all of them have the same compartments. Some refrigerators do not have dedicated compartments for meat or dairy or cheese, and some may not have self-filling water pitchers and so on. If you need those dedicated compartments and features, don’t forget to check them out.
Take a good hard look at the refrigerator you’ve got right now, and think about all the stuff you enjoy about it, or what you want it to have. You could never be able to survive without an ice machine, yet you don’t have one. Or do you know that you want a water dispenser in the door? Or one of those funny alarms when you left the door open for too long? Be sure that the model you choose has all the stuff on your wishlist.
With the world moving ahead with smart technologies, consider going ahead with a smart refrigerator as well for a smarter kitchen. Prefer opting for a fridge equipped with LED touch displays for smart operations. The screen has Wi-Fi capabilities. You can adjust temps, leave notes, organize the fridge, display photos, access recipes online, stream music and even get weather updates among many other functions.
Since you will be looking at your refrigerator every day, select the finish that looks amazing in your kitchen.
- Stainless—The crisp, metallic quality of a stainless-steel refrigerator is everlasting. Some of today’s stainless refrigerators are smudge-proof, ensuring you won’t waste hours polishing your fingerprints.
- Black Stainless Steel—The up-and-coming finish, each brand has its hold on it, making it impossible to combine products. Black stainless prevents fingerprint recognition, making it easier to maintain. While magnets stick to most black stainless finishes, they can scratch easily, so think very carefully about using them.
- Plain black or white—Choose one of these classic finishes if you need to complement the rest of your appliances. A black or white refrigerator generally costs less than one of those in stainless steel or black stainless steel.
Other shades still exist on the fringes, but they don’t have any tremendous experience. There are also bold color choices made by the design-centric companies, but don’t expect much in the way of efficiency.
There is a high possibility that the Freezer and the area below the freezer that is meant to keep cheese, milk, etc. will be packed with ice and frost if you are not using the freezer for a long time. So, pick the right free Frost refrigerator when choosing a new refrigerator.
Top 10 Refrigerators to Buy in India
Whirlpool 190 L 3 Start Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator: https://amzn.to/3j1A6dc
Small families opting for bulky looking fridges doesn’t make sense as they will not be completely utilized. If you belong to a nuclear family, then this particular fridge is the best option for you to go ahead with. Place 2 liters of bottles, plenty of fruits and vegetables as this one is spacious enough to fit in things at good capacity.
- Energy-efficient- You can cut down on your electricity bill
- Easy cleaning- To keep your food clean, ease of cleaning is mandatory and so this fridge is particularly built with a perspective of easy cleaning
- Affordable- With must to have smart tech features, you can own this fridge without burning a hole in your pocket
- Warranty- The company offers 1 year of warranty
Haier 195 L 4 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator: https://amzn.to/36oYnVu
Haier products are highly known for being elegantly designed. For a family of 3, this one is a perfect choice and if you prefer storing a lot of things, then you will surely be attracted by this giant freezer.
- Spacious- You will be left with enough space for storing plenty of water bottles and food items requiring you to keep it fresh.
- Warranty- 10 years of warranty of compressor
- Icing technology- You will never run short of ice as this fridge is equipped with icing technology producing ice within an hour.
- Super strong- The three toughened glass shelves inside the fridge are high and they can carry the weight.
LG 260 L 3 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator: https://amzn.to/3raq38P
LG is one of the most trusted brands in India offering numerous products and this double door fridge offered is surely one of a kind. The fridge is equipped with all the required features to serve a medium-sized family.
- Multi Air Flow Cooling Technology- With this technology, the cooling air will evenly be circulated in the entire fridge
- Warranty- 10 years of warranty on the inverter compressor
- Vegetable Tray- The dedicated vegetable tray will let you place the vegetables in an organized manner.
- Spacious- Enormous amount of space
Samsung 212 L 3 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator: https://amzn.to/2Mb2b6b
You want an affordable fridge? You need a compact one? Do you desire for extra space? Then is the Samsung fridge being a good option for a medium-sized family. Being compatible with solar has helped this fridge stand out against its competitors.
- Design- The fridge looks sleek and stylish enhancing the look of your dining area
- No sound- It doesn’t make much noise; you wouldn’t even understand that the freeze is there
- Super freeze technology- The cooling is even throughout the freezer, which helps to keep the items fresh, and the freezer of this model is quite potent to keep things frozen all the time
- Warranty- 10 years of warranty on compressor
LG Side by Side Refrigerator-687L-Frost Free-Inverter Compressor: https://amzn.to/2NMxvbz
This elegantly looking, spacious refrigerator is highly known for providing complete all-round satisfaction to the customer. Its prices have been very consumer-friendly and affordable. There are very good features that ensure the refrigerator’s top-class performance.
- Inverter Linear Compressor- This is a superb feature wherein it saves a lot of energy, up to an extent of more than 50%, and reduces the noise levels up to 25%. It is almost noiseless.
- Hygiene Fresh Plus- This feature reduces the foul smell in the refrigerator. It has a 5-step antibacterial deodorization that kills up to 99.99% of bacteria.
- Multi Airflow Cooling- There are multiple cooling air vents inside the refrigerator. These air vents circulate and distribute cool air to every nook and corner of the refrigerator.
- Express Freezing- This feature freezes the food at a faster rate than normal.
Whirlpool 265 L 3 Star Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator: https://amzn.to/3t74Qyl
Another surprising product of Whirlpool, this is a product with all the features you need. The double-door refrigerator is for you to keep your food healthy and free of bacteria. This model’s vegetable crisper is one of the best on the market
- Freshonizer- It helps to keep things fresh for longer durations
- Air Tower Technology- It helps the cool air to move through the fridge and to keep everything fresh
- Macroblock Technology- It also can block out any fungus or bacteria that may enter the fridge.
- Additional Trays- You can extend the space available in the fridge with the extra equipped trays
Haier 170 L 3 Star Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator: https://amzn.to/3r89fzb
If you’ve got a little family and you want a small but powerful refrigerator, this Haier model is the right option. It’s one of the best fridges you can find on the market. It’s minimal, but it has the features you like.
- Compact- The refrigerator has a sleek style and is sufficiently compact to fit into a small space.
- Extra Bottle Space- Fill in as many bottles that you would be requiring for a day
- Diamond edge freezing technology- It ensures that the ice formation remains firm and provides better cooling retention in the refrigerator
- Warranty- 10 years of warranty on compressor
Whirlpool Proton Multi Door Refrigerator-Frost Free 260L: https://amzn.to/3tg1p8G
This 3-door refrigerator features endless advantages for you to benefit from. It is designed to provide you with the freshness of food and vegetables to remain fresh for a longer duration.
- Micro block technology- It helps to prevent contamination of bacteria
- Auto Defrost Technology- It helps to prevent excessive formation of ice
- Active Fresh Zone- The bottom door is thoroughly dedicated as a fresh zone
- Warranty- 1 year of warranty on the product and 10 years of warranty on the compressor
Haier Frost Free Double Door Bottom Mounted Refrigerator 3-Star 320L: https://amzn.to/36qfPt2
This refrigerator is one of the rare refrigerators that are bottom-mounted which is beautifully designed featuring a bottle guard for bottles preventing them from falling while operating.
- Icing Technology- The direct cool device creates ice in one hour with long condenser coils and thick PUF insulation.
- Glass shelves- The tough glass shelves will bear up to 120kg
- 360-degree cooling technology- The cooling air rotates in every direction thus reaching the nook and corner of the refrigerator.
- No stabilizer required- The refrigerator is built to run without the stabilizer
LG 260 L 3 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator: https://amzn.to/36sDvwB
This refrigerator from the LG brand is excellent in looks and design. It has marvelous features that enhance performance.
- Ecofriendly Refrigerant
- Water Dispenser- You can fill a glass of chilled water from this water dispenser without even opening the door.
- Pull out Drawers- The refrigerator has multiple pull out drawers that helps in surplus storage.
How to clean the refrigerator?
- Firstly, dispose of old and expired food
- Remove all shelves and racks after switching off the refrigerator.
- Using a fluid dishwasher, rinse and wipe the shelves, racks, and vegetables in running water. Wipe out the water or dry it in the breeze.
- Use diluted vinegar to wipe away the interior with a soft towel. Scourge with a scrub where food contaminants are trapped.
- Take the gasket and wash it in running water. When mold is present, clean it off with baking soda. Fix it back after wiping dry.
- Sprinkle a gentle vinegar solution and rinse it down to scrub outside to clean the exteriors
- The rear panel containing coil, engine, and other elements is seen in most of the newer refrigerators. After opening the lower section. You should clean the dust and soil with a moist tissue in such refrigerators.
Tips to increase the lifespan of a refrigerator
- Never place warm milk or warm food item in the fridge as it takes more compressor running time
- Allow the food items to obtain room temperature before placing them in the fridge
- Always clean your fridge regularly
- Immediately replace the bulbs within the fridge, when required
- Avoid opening of door for a longer period
- Maintain proper temperature settings as per the climate outside
After reading about India’s top ten best refrigerators, you may have an idea about what India’s best cooler is. It is necessary to know what suits you and what not for an appliance as important as a refrigerator. After all, your taste and desires are at stake. You will save a lot of trouble and money by taking the time to find the right refrigerator for you. It would also save you valuable time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which is a better bottom freezer or top?
Fridges with a freezer at the top are better as they are more energy-efficient than a bottom freezer.
- What is the average lifespan of a refrigerator?
The average lifespan of a normal refrigerator is 12 – 18 years. It also depends on the maintenance and condition that a refrigerator has been kept at.
- What is the best temperature in the refrigerator?
The best temperature of a refrigerator is 40° F or above. The freezer temperature has to be 0° F or below.