Home Automation System needs no introduction in today’s time! It is a revolutionary technology that is making life convenient, safer, and enjoyable for people around the world. It is an advancement that has transformed a simple housing concept to 100% technology-driven homes. This makes it first choice for over 45 million people in the USA.
Homeowners now have the authority to control everything ranging from appliances, lights, HVAC, music system, interior shades, pool, to security, by a single click. Just imagine your home wakes up before you, pull off the blinds, and wakes you up with a piece of soothing music, amazing, isn’t it? And the best part is you can control all these functions even when you are away from home.
How is it all done?
You see, home automation is an advanced technology that allows you to connect and control every feature of your home through your smartphone or tablet. It’s as easy as saying, “Alexa, turn on the air-conditioner!” from any part of the world! All you need is a good internet connection and the latest smartphone. Instead of managing every feature manually, a smart home concept will integrate various subsystems that are finally controlled through a master intelligent home controller.
The master system will receive commands and will further distribute them to different subsystems. Do you know that the home automation system is composed of different software that enables the execution of both single and multiple actions at the same time? They are basically of two types; timed and triggered.
- Timed Events – The majority of the home automation systems perform as per the timed events. The system is synced with the applicable time zone of the country and executes these commands according to it. For instance, raising the blinds at 7 am, starting the heating system at 9 am, and so on
- Triggered Events – The triggered events are ones that are executed at the click of a trigger like a button, motion, and door movement. Events like sensor tripping and geo-fencing also come under this category.
List of Home Automation Devices
As per the stats released by Snapdeal in 2018, there has been a record growth of 35.7% orders in the home automation products section. Here are some significant components of a home automation system:
- HVAC Systems – We all have HVAC systems in our home, don’t we? Manually turning them on and switching them off is a daunting task. A smart home automation system integrates HVAC units into its technically driven mechanism. It also offers a self-managed refrigerator feature that will automatically switch it off during voltage fluctuations. Periodic cleaning, repairing, and maintenance reminders are not to be missed here! The advanced system will learn everything about your daily routine and will adapt itself accordingly. So no more manual operations required!
- Washing Machine and lighting control with Alexa – Automated lighting is an essential part of the smart home concept. You can control the smart bulbs through Google Home or Alexa. Home Automation with Alexa is a trending smart home feature. You can schedule them or dim them as per your convenience. You can also operate your washing machine from a remote distant according to the clothes’ capacity and texture.
- Music, Sprinklers, and Shades – Now, program your lawn sprinklers with smart home automation systems. These are voice-activated systems, which can help you in controlling all the functions without getting up from your place. This system is perfect for aged or bedridden people. You can easily manage your shades mechanism, music, and entertainment system with your home automation system.
- Intercom System – Do you know that home automation helps you in controlling your intercom system? It means you can chat with anyone in another room or initiate a video call. You can also sync your private playlist through the intercoms placed in your house.
- Security System – One of the primary aims of installing a home automation system is to have a secure and safer home. Gone were the days when the smart security system was just limited to alerts for strange and suspicious activity in the property. They are now more advanced about informing when your kids return home, let you see and talk to a person standing at your main door, enable the light feature when someone arrives at your door, and so on. Not only this, you can watch your kids playing in the backyard while cooking food, or will be informed if the water is leaking in your basement, or you have accidentally left your garage door open. In other words, you can expect a far better and secured property with a home automation system.
Steps to Implement Home Automation System
If you wish to invest in technology, investing in home automation can be a great idea. You will get automatic control of almost everything ranging from climate, security, lighting, entertainment, and HVAC in a single go. And the best part is that the settings and programming are customizable. Here are some simple steps that can help you in getting your high-tech home.
- Determine your Requirements – You need to consult an experienced home automation company that will execute this process for you. Firstly, make sure you are clear you’re your requirements and expectations from this project. You are going to invest your hard-earned money in this project, and you deserve the best out of it. The professionals will work with you as a team, turning your expectations into reality and making it most sense for you and your family.
- Initial Plan – The expert team will present to you the initial plan of your automation project. You can see all the things that are included in this system and analyze its relevance for your home. Everything will be done considering your budget and requirements, and the ideas will move to the next level, only after your approval.
- Equipment – You can integrate hundreds of components to your home automation system. However, the professionals will advise you on the hardware that is best compatible with the system. The integration of lighting, doors, sprinklers, shades, speakers, etc. will be determined at this stage.
- Installing Equipment and Wiring – Once everything is finalized, the expert technicians will initiate the wiring process for your home automation system. Everything will be done by referring to the final planning documents. Builders and designers will be hired to ensure the efficient, safe, neat, and quick installation of the systems.
- Programming – A technology is worthless if you don’t get easy access to it! The professionals will design a comprehensive program that will enable you to control all the features as one. Every element will be set as per the plan, and the same user interface will be designed for your smartphone, tablet, or touchpad. The good news is you can customize these settings as per your requirements. With this, you are good to go with your home automation system!
- Support and Maintenance – Everything can be controlled with a single touch hereafter! Make sure your automation software is up to date and is checked from time to time. Rely only on professionals for repair, support, and maintenance tasks, as everything is integrated into a single system. The majority of the companies offer free support and maintenance services to their clients.
You can consider the systems of a smart home, just like an umbrella protecting your property from any harmful activities. You are in complete control of the smallest action taking place in your home. Though these systems might take a substantial bite of your budget, every feature offered is worth it. It will help you attain a better, warmer, safer, and hassle-free and energy-efficient nest for you and your family. So, if you desire to have a smart home soon, this is the right time to start the planning process!